Another project. A deer trophy also for my living room. Actually here I was trying a lot of techniques from worbla, eva foam, epoxy resin, car paints etc…
Posted also on:
Entered in contest: https://www.instructables.com/contest/clocks2020/
Some time ago I built a clock for my living room, since I found nothing to buy which had at least tolerable designs 🙂
Of course my son seeing this had a request of his own. So to summarize, he said he wants:
- a radio controlled clock
- with a dragon on it
- on top of a moon
- which has a night light which starts automatically at night
- using black light for some extra style
- a radio controlled clock module (this one)
- round acrylic glass
- wodden base
- wire for the structure
- dry braches
etc. to be specified in the next steps
OK, so I started with the electronics. In this part I wanted to do the following:
- night light using some 5050 led strips
- black light using 5050 uv light led strips (396 nm light)
- make it all with solar charged batteries using this ripped up diy kit
- charge by day and go on automatically by night
So I started putting all together like shown in the fritzing sketch: 3x 10kO resistors, a simple photoresistor and a TIP120 transistor. All connected with the 12V leds and the 3.7V battery/solar charging module (also used a 3.7V to 12V voltage step-up converter)
I went on to build the actual clock. I started painting the back side of the acrylic glass with:
Amsterdam Specialities – black light reflective paints
Started with yellow, and went on with some orange/red to give it a moon-like structure paint. While painting it I used a black light flash light to check the effect.
After that I fixed the clock module in the center of the glass.
OK, for the eyes you need to take the time since they have to be nice.
First I printed something from the internet, in the style I wanted. Then I cut out the form from the bottom of a plastic bottle. Then I painted them on the inside starting with black, then yellow, then the red base.
Then I cut out a wooden circle and inside a rectangle to fit the clockwork.
Then using a lot of wire I started to form the base of the dragon, which later on had to hold the branches and twigs. It consists of 3 parts: the head, the wings and the tail.
I had to watch the form having in mind that the mouth should be lit, the eyes need a plain spot, the wings need to cover the black light led strips and hold the solar charging module.
Now every part of the dragons I planned to do with twigs, but the inside of the mouth and the wings had to look more real so I used some papermache, which will be painted red in the next step.
The teeth (also twig parts) I fixed first with hot glue, and covered with papermache.
For this next step I almost melted my hot glue gun 🙂
I started covering all the base of the dragon with cut twigs, following its form and body parts. It took some time but it is really fun to see how he grows 🙂
Also used some twigs on the wings to give everywhere the impression this dragon consists only of bones … hence “Bone Dragon”
For some finishing touch we made it all shiny with a clear coat spray. I sprayed some more on the inside of the mouth.
At the end I put on the electronics and glued all parts in place:
- the photoresistor is on its tail
- the solar panel on the wings
- the black light led strip is under the wings
- 3 small light strips (3 leds each) are under the eyes and in the mouth
So when lit, the paints on the moon start to reflect the light looking like glowing.
Hope you had fun, we sure did 🙂
Since Orthodox Eastern are near, we painted some eggs. An old traditional way is to use wax and multiple painting to achieve different decorations. More about how they have to look you could google using “oua incondeiate”.
Anyway I wanted to try this as well. I was totally unprepared and didn’t have cold paints, and the needed wax, so I improvised. I used a 3d pen and normal hot paints.
And another cake we made. Kids have more and more fun and me less work to do 😉 win-win …
Very little spare time lately, but once in a while I like to continue this hobby as well. It makes a lot of fun especially since this is a team effort. The whole family contributed to thie 🙂
I gotta take time more often for stuff like this. Anyway we decided this year we (me and my children) make our own halloween masks. My daughter decided to go for a witch and my son for baby Groot.
We started of with some basic masks I baught, and using tape and newspapers we shaped the rough form.
For everything to go faster I also bought some Papermache which mixed with water resulted in a perfect molding stuff. When it gets dry it isn’t too heavy and it can be sanded with sandpaper.
So this is only the first rough form. Still a lot to be done here after it dries out…
Next step was to give them a base color to cover the surface. Later on light colors will be used to give them the real form.
Last touch was painting them in the final colors. Also the leaves for Baby Groot were made with PLA using a 3d pen. We also used UV colors for both so that under UV light tey would shine like the last picture below.
With this I think I hit the jackpot. No more buying toys for my kids. They now should be able to make their own … 🙂
With all the fuss around 3d printing, 3d doodler, 3d pens, … too much 3d theese days 🙂 I really got in the mood to try something without spending a couple of hundreds. So like every other dad does, I found the excuse: buy it “for the kids” 😉
The first tries were not so lucky. A lot of fun, but clearly some amount of handywork is needed.
But like always with the kids, with more skill comes more fun. So the next tries looked better and better.
The last was a fully functional crane with a crank used to lift objects.
With time the toys can look good enough not to end in some box and be forgotten. And while the kids have fun, the parents can chill 😉